January 30, 2013

Manna Cookies

One of the keys in making stress-free family meals on a regular basis is to have your kitchen properly stocked. Can you imagine how taxing it would be if you had to purchase each and every ingredient every time you are working on a recipe? Shopping could be overwhelming (well, sometimes yes!) if done on a recipe-to-recipe basis. This is just one good reason to have a well stocked pantry!


When it comes to my pantry, I should say it is a little over-stocked! I have few (well, more than a few !??!!?) items in my pantry that I may have used just once or twice. One such item that I found (yeah, kind of bumped into it when looking for something else) in my pantry is "Manna health mix" (check out this link to know more about this product). This item seems to be idling in my pantry for quite a few months now, as my kids rejected this healthy (but not so tasty) breakfast porridge right after they had it for the first time.



But, smart moms (ahem .... ahem) knows how to work their way through any kind of food challenges that they might stumble upon! I had a ragi biscuit recipe in hand for quite sometime and thought, "hey, why not replace ragi flour with manna flour?!". Guess what, it worked out so perfectly just as I expected. With cocoa powder & chocolate chips, no wonder my kids too are appreciating this healthy snack!


Basic Info
Complexity - Medium
Prep time - 15 mins
Cook time - 30 mins
Serves - 2 dozen

Ingredients
Manna health mix - 2 cups
All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Light brown sugar  - 1/2 cup (packed)
Granulated white sugar - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 cup (melted)
Yogurt - 2 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp
Chocolate chips - 1/4 cup

Method
Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Line a baking sheet (that can hold upto 20-25 cookies) with parchment paper.

Dry roast manna health mix powder until fragrant. Take care not to over-roast / burn them.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients (manna health mix, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cardamom powder, baking powder) in a large bowl. If possible, sieve the dry ingredients together so that they are evenly mixed.

For the wet ingredients, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, yogurt, vanilla extract in another large bowl until sugar melts.


Now, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in 3 batches and mix them well. Finally, fold the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.


Take about a tbsp of the cookie dough and drop onto the cookie sheet evenly spaced apart. Gently press the cookies with the back of a fork (do not attempt to flatten your cookies with the fork).


Bake them for about 15 - 20 mins until the color of the cookies are slightly changed and are set completely. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool down.


Enjoy these healthy cookies with a cup of coffee/tea.



Note:
  • You can replace manna flour with ragi flour (or) use equal portion of ragi flour & manna flour.

5 comments :

  1. Beautiful cookies,love to munch some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a similar issue in that I bought the Manna Health Mix at an Indian grocery thinking it would be more like a mix of grains or oatmeal, not finely ground into a powder as it actually is.

    I've been wondering what to do with it as I don't like to waste food but a thick liquid porridge is just not for me. I've been wondering if I could use it like flour to bake bread and your cookie recipe has given me hope enough to experiment with that. If you have any comments on how similar it is to flour whole wheat flour or any other multigrain flour, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. URGENT LOAN IS AVAILABLE NOW

    TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT $760K FROM A RELIABLE,TRUSTED AND REGISTERED PRIVATE LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK,BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? ARE NOW AFFORDABLE HERE FOR YOU TODAY CONTACT Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan from PROF. MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS (profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00USD to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender?
    MRS.DOROTHY JEAN holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Contacts Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete