October 8, 2012

Idiyappam

Idiyappam and kurma brings back all good old memories of my college days. Can a food item really be nostalgic?!? Sure, why not ?!!!

I had "the" utmost fun during my college days, I should say - especially with my hostel roommates! Bunch of friends, crazy fun times, whole lot of nonsense talk, world of emotions, great experiences, sleepless nights, sad & lonely times, moments of togetherness, caring & sharing, good & bad times - my college days in an essence! My first time experience away from home in a metro-city with such wide & varied set of friends was truly amazing. Thanks to my dad who made it a point that I went through this incredible experience!

Hostel and horrible food goes hand in hand - without a doubt! So, we always look forward to each other's visitors. Guess why ?! - that is the only occasion when we can expect some good food! I had a roommate (from Gudiyattam) who actually got me introduced to "Idiyappam & Kurma" (from Hotel Saravana Bhavan). Her frequent visitors had never disappointed us in this matter! Just a plate of idiyappam (2 nos) with a small packet of kurma & 12 hungry souls (!!!!). I would have probably got a mouthful or two - but it was such a bliss that the taste still lingers fresh in my mind!

This is my humble attempt to re-live that experience with this home-made idiyappam & "Saravana Bhavan" style kurma. Try this for yourself to see what a hit it would be in your house too!


Ingredients
Idly rice - 3 cups
Salt - 1 tbsp
Coconut oil - 2-3 tbsp
Water - as required

Idly plates & Idly cooker
Sevai nazhi (with small holes)

Method
Soak idly rice in water for upto 5 hrs. Using grinder, grind soaked idly rice with required salt into a smooth batter.


Now, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan. To this, pour the batter and keep stirring (to make sure that there are no lumps) until it thickens and you are able to make soft balls out of it.


Remember, the batter should neither be too thick nor watery. While the batter is warm, start to make idiyappam. Batter gets very tough to handle when cold!


Grease idli pans with little coconut oil. Using sevai nazhi, fill & press the mould with the batter and make idiyappam.


Quite frankly, it was very tough for me to press idiyappam and VJ helped me with it. Thanks to him!


Once you are done, arrange all the idli plates into idli cooker and steam idiyappam for about 5 -10 mins.


Use a spoon and carefully remove steamed idiyappam from the idli plates. Idiyappam is now ready to be served.


No comments :

Post a Comment