September 30, 2012

Palak Pulao

Do you have a kid who hates even the word "SPINACH"? Are you one of those mom's who desperately look for ways to add spinach into your kid's diet? Here you go! Palak pulao - a perfect recipe for all spinach haters (including adults) out there! No one can make out that this recipe has spinach in it - I bet!


My daughter just craps & runs away if she hears the name "spinach". And, I literally cannot give up spinach-is-good-for-you habit. But, on the contrary she loves pudhina (mint). Good news is both mint & spinach share the same color. Today, I had a flash of a brilliance, I should say! I decided to make a puree out of spinach & mint and make palak pulao. That way, it is easy for me to disguise spinach in the name of mint.

Believe it or not, my daughter loved it and still thinks that it was mint pulao! And, why would I even want to confess to her that pulao has spinach in it.. Nah! Never!! The sweetness of mint, the cozy warm green color, pleasant aroma from mint & saute 'ed onion takes over your palate even before you know that spinach is there! Even if you know, it'll be too late. By then, spinach would have already become a happy passenger to your tummy! 

Try for yourself and see what a relief it brings to see your kids enjoy palak .. errr ... mint pulao!

Ingredients
Spinach - 2 cups (1 bunch)
Mint leaves - Handful (or) 1/2 bunch
Basmati rice - 1.5 cups
Green chillies - 2 nos
Ginger - 1 inch (finely grated)
Garlic - 2 cloves (finely grated)
Onion - 1 big (finely chopped)
Tomatoes - 1 no (Medium sized, finely chopped)
Water - 2.25 cups
Oil - 1-2 tbsp
Salt - as required

Spices
Star anise - 1 no
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cardamom pods - 2 nos
Cloves - 3 nos
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp

Method
Grind Spinach, Mint leaves, green chillies with 1/2 cup of water into a smooth paste.

In a pressure cooker heat oil, add all the spices one by one and fry them. Add chopped onion, grated ginger, grated garlic and saute till onions are transparent. Add tomatoes and saute until they cooked & mashed.

Now, add ground spinach-mint-chilly paste and saute for few minutes.

Wash and add rice, remaining water, required salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.

Wait for the rice to cool and fluff it up with a fork.


Serve hot with raitha and chips. I made raw-banana fry to go with it.


3 comments :

  1. Healthy green pulao makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea Sasi, especially the way you describe it. Believe me, whether I make it or not I love to read your narration. It's simple and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made my day Sangs! Seriously! I take more time to add a personal touch to every recipe that I post that too in an interesting way (the narration part!) I want blog readers to connect with me & my recipe .. I think this is what gets us closer! Thanks for your comments! I would be more than happy if you could try the recipes too and give your feedback!

    ReplyDelete