February 3, 2012

Roasted corn salad

Last week I was at farmer's market and couldn't resist myself from buying some fresh & colorful corn (they were very cheap too). I actually wanted to make the traditional oven roasted "corn on the cob", but what I ended up making was a scrumptious salad instead. I now have a new, healthy & delicious way to enjoy sweet corn with other vegetables. Hands down, this salad is downright delicious and I can finish the entire bowl in no time (absolutely guilt-free). Whatta way to munch on something for evening snacks :)


At home, we are not great salad eaters and this is my first time making salad at home. But, you have to believe me, all of us simply loved this sweet, crisp & fresh salad for its fuller & bolder flavor. Couple of things that I loved about this salad - fresh vegetables and my dearest "avocado" (found another healthier way to eat avocados, yipppee!!!).

Use this salad recipe just as a guideline and feel free to adjust the quantity of the vegetables (or) add/remove veggies of your choice.

Ingredients
Oven Roasted Corn - 1
Avocado - 1 (seed removed & chopped)
Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
Green chillies - 1 (deseeded & minced) (you can also use jalapeno pepper)
Cilantro - Few (finely chopped)
Fresh lime juice - 2 tbsp
Salt & black pepper powder - to taste

Method
All you need to do is set the oven to 400F, throw the corn in (remove the husk) and broil for 20 mins (make sure to turn the corn occasionally). Let the corn cool to room temperature.


Using a knife, remove the corn kernels and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped avocados, tomatoes, green chillies, cilantro and lime juice. Carefully stir until ingredients are well combined. 

Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

I added crushed tortilla chips (jalapeno flavored) to my salad and it definitely elevated its taste
Tips:
  • You can also add finely chopped onion (1 no) to the salad. I skipped it.
  • You can crush 4-5 tortilla chips on the top of the salad (just before you eat). It adds an interesting flavor & a crunchier texture to the salad.
  • You can also use this as salsa to go with tortilla chips (chipotle style).
Events
Linking it to the event "Show me your HITS" hosted by Sangee Vijay.
Linking it to the event "Cooking with seeds - Corn" hosted by Shylaja.

2 comments :

  1. Very healthy and delicious salad.. looks absolutely perfect !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a healthy and refreshing salad,yummy indeed...loved it
    thanks for this lovely entry Sasi...
    You have a nice blog shaping here...glad to join your space...if u like my sapce come n join me as well...
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights

    ReplyDelete