February 6, 2012

Broccoli & Cauliflower fry

This is another delicious curry that I tried making in the oven roasted with peanuts & spices.


Broccoli is a new, happy & healthy addition to the list of vegetables that we like. I have never tasted, seen/heard this vegetable until few years ago. Though I had a lot of recommendations for this vegetable from my friend's circle, I was always kind of unsure about it.

If you are following my blog, you would have known by now that my family is a great fan of CPK. This is where we were first introduced to broccoli. My daughter especially is a great fan of their pasta - "Sun-dried tomato fusili with broccoli" and she simply loves the saute'ed baby broccoli. She is so crazy about their baby broccoli that she wouldn't leave even a single floret for us to taste. This is one of the main reasons for me to give-in for broccoli and try it at home. I decided to give it a try with the most familiar, look-alike & fair vegetable - cauliflower. 


My daughter loved this curry and I am definitely making this curry more often from now on! How I wish I tried this veggie a couple of years earlier !!

Ingredients
Broccoli florets - 1.5 cups
Cauliflower florets - 1.5 cups
Red chilli powder - 1-2 tsp (adjust to your spice level)
Coriander powder - 1-2 tsp
Raw peanuts - a handful
Hing - 1-2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Olive oil - 2 tbsp

Method
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.

Chop the tops off of cauliflower & broccoli and slice them into small pieces, leaving the thick stems behind. Lay them in a single layer on a non-stick sheet tray.

Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of olive oil over the veggies. Sprinkle red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt & hing. Sprinkle a handful of peanuts on top. Toss them with your hands until you've got all the veggies & peanuts coated with oil & spices.


Return it to the oven and bake for a total time of 20 mins or until desired crispiness (look out for brown crispy layer on top of the crown), mixing once in between (after 10 mins).



Enjoy it as a side with hot rice or chapathi/paratha.

2 comments :

  1. I used to do this there (no oven now :( ) and also make a manchirian kind of sauce with soy/hoisin sauce + sauteed garlic/ginger/onion and toss this roast on the sauce. Makes an excellent starter for any party. I did this for Saturday night dinner meetup here but instead of baking i had to shallow fry like manchurian

    ReplyDelete