January 3, 2012

Avacado Paratha

Avocado Paratha - does it sound weird? When it occurred to me, even I thought it to be a wacky idea. But after tasting, it was a different story altogether... couldn't praise myself enough for coming up with such a healthy recipe!!


I have read about the benefits of avocado, and I have always wanted to incorporate them some way or the other into my day-to-day menu (To those who don't know - Avocados are rich in Vitamin E, vitamin C, potential ant-oxidant, helps to reduce cholesterol). But, avocados never got its way into my recipes as my everyday menu is mostly rice based.

Last week, I had bought some avocados from store to make "the legendary and ever-popular" guacamole for my daughter who is a big fan of it. Last night, while making pudhina rotis is when it occurred to me - "why not use avocados in rotis?". Initially, I was a little skeptical, but developed whole lot of confidence after I googled to see if there are any pioneers with such an attempt and to my surprise, yes, there were lots of them and successful too!!

I have read that avocado is nature’s ghee/butter. So, when smooth & silky flesh of ripe avocados is kneaded into chapati flour, indeed it resulted in very soft & tasty parathas (the kind we always desire to make). This is a good way to disguise avocados for the non-avocado eaters, as it helps only in enhancing the flavor & texture per say, and doesn't add any new flavor of its own.

I wanted to make some dry vegetable curry to go with avocado parathas and so was it - Paneer Bhurji!


Basic Info
Complexity - Medium
Prep time - 45 mins
Cook time - 30 mins
Serves - 12-13 parathas

Ingredients
Wheat flour - 2 cups
Fresh & ripe avocados (pitted & fleshed) - 2 nos (about a cup of mashed avocados)
Onion powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro (washed & finely chopped) - 1/8 cup
Oil / Ghee - For brushing the parathas
Salt - 2 tsp

Method
In a large bowl, completely mash avocado flesh with back of a ladle. To this, add wheat flour,red chilli powder, onion powder, cilantro, salt. Bring the mixture together and make a smooth dough by adding water only if necessary (I did not add any water). Knead the dough for about 10 mins and let it rest for 30 mins. 

Take a small portion of the dough and make it into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the ball into a circle. Brush little oil over the circle and fold it into half. Brush a little oil and fold it again to make a triangle and roll out the triangle.



Heat a tawa / griddle and place the rolled paratha. Cook both sides until done (brush little oil/ghee on both the sides).



Serve them hot with any side of your choice and don't miss to notice the softness brought by the avocados. I am definitely going to make this parathas very often from now on. After all, who wouldn't want soft & healthy parathas?!

No comments :

Post a Comment