December 9, 2011

Seppankizhangu roast

Seppankizhangu (Taro root in English) is a starchy root vegetable. This is an easy to cook vegetable and tastes heaven when roasted/fried. It pairs up very well with rasam rice / morkuzhambu rice.

Actually, it's been a long time since I cooked seppankizhangu roast. Last week in Indian store, they had fresh seppankizhangu and I just couldn't stop myself from buying them. My hubby loves seppankizhangu roast. But, my daughter haven't tasted this before. Probably, this is the first time that I am cooking it for her after she started building up her taste profile.



Ingredients
Seppankizhangu - 1 lbs
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Hing - 2-3 pinches
Oil - 4-5 tablespoon

For seasoning
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Split urid dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Oil -1 tsp

Method
Cook seppankizhangu till soft. This is the most important step. Seppankizhangu should be cooked in such a way that it should be soft but not mushy. (I usually use my rice cooker so that I can keep a tab on it while cooking and decide when to remove from heat - seppankizhangu tends to go really mushy when its pressure cooked for long time.)

Once it is soft & ready, peel the skin, cut it into 1/2 inch slices and keep them aside.

In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil. After oil is heated, add all the boiled/peeled/cut seppankizhangu and sprinkle salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder & hing on top of it and mix them in. (Take care not to mash seppankizhangu while mixing in the spices). Roast it evenly on all sides.


Splutter mustard seeds & fry split urid dals in little oil with curry leaves and add it to the roast. Roasted seppankizhangu is ready to be served. Without any doubt, the roast tasted divine just as the way it looks!!


Verdict: My daughter initially was very reluctant to taste it. Once she did, she simply loved it & wanted more of it. One more vegetable added to her 'likeable' list! Good job mommy!! (and that's me :))

No comments :

Post a Comment