December 3, 2011

Puliyitta keerai

Puliyitta keerai (spinach in tamarind), I would call it a healthy substitute for sambar. This is one of the recipes that I learnt at my in-laws. First time when I saw my mom-in-law cooking this, I had a doubt if spinach & tamarind will go together. Boy, I was wrong - the spicy tart taste of tamarind with spinach was a pleasant surprise. I have heard that puliyitta keerai & poricha kozhambu goes well together, but have never tried it.


Recently, I found out that this is one another recipe to get my kiddo eat spinach. She loves this dish when its mixed with rice and doesn't really mind to see spinach on her plate. Voila!

Ingredients
Spinach - 1 bag
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - size of lemon (soaked in little hot water. Drain the water after tamarind becomes soft)
Green chillies - 4-5 nos

Seasoning:
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 1-2 nos
Hing - 1-2 pinches
Oil & salt - to taste

Method
Empty the bag of spinach into a microwave bowl. Sprinkle little water and microwave it for 3-4 mins and allow it to cool. Grind spinach, tamarind and green chillies into a fine paste.


Take a pan/vessel and heat oil. Then, add all the items under seasoning one by one and fry them. Now, add pureed spinach to this and mix well. Let it boil until the raw smell of tamarind is gone. Serve hot with rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment