December 4, 2011

Onion Adai

Adai is a type of dosa - a savory crepe. I remember reading that channa dal (one of the main ingredients of adai) is recommended for people with diabetes as it is rich in protein and has low glycemic index.

Speaking of adai, I am remembered of my school days - my mom usually makes adai for evening tiffin. More than plain adai, I love the taste of onion adai. It's such a bliss to eat 'hot' 'hot' onion adai straight from the tawa with melting ghee on top. I simply love the happening affair between the two and would never like it to end.




Ingredients
  • 1 Medium onion - Finely chopped
  • Boiled rice - 1/2 cup
  • Raw rice - 1/2 cup
  • Channa dal - 1 cup
  • Red chillies - 6-8 nos
  • Green chillies - 4-5 nos
  • Curry leaves - Few
  • Hing - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil (I prefer to use sesame oil) 
Method
Soak the rice and dal in water for about 2-3 hrs.


Then, drain the water & grind it coarsely along with red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves. The batter should neither be thick nor watery. Add hing, finely chopped onions to the batter.


Heat a griddle or a non stick tawa and pour a ladle of batter and spread it in circular motion. Make a small hole in the center and add a tsp of oil into it & around the adai. Let it get cooked.


Then flip it over to the other side and drizzle a tsp of oil around the adai. Let it get cooked.



After both sides are cooked remove from tawa and serve it hot.

Tips
  • We can create variations in adai by adding finely chopped spinach, cabbage, shredded coconut, coriander leaves etc.
  • Adai can be paired with several side dishes - jaggery, butter, avial, milagai podi.

2 comments :

  1. Adai looks very tempting. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a different combo for adai. our house, we use all dals - toor, urad and channa. As I mentioned in my post, all households have a different combination of dals and rices. Adai looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete