November 30, 2011

Potato Curry

Potato curry is something that my hubby & my daughter would love to see in everyday 's menu. Potato can be cooked in a couple of ways - boil them & cook with spices (OR) cut potatoes into small cubes and cook it as potato roast. Since, I was hurrying to finish cooking the lunch today, I decided to take the easier route - to boil potatoes, peel them and saute them with spices as curry. Any given day, I would prefer potato curry over potato roast for 2 reasons - ease of preparation & the former requires little oil compared to the latter.



Speaking of potato curry I am reminded of my childhood days. We call it "Pesanja curry" (mashed curry) at home and myself & my brother are suckers for our mom 's relish.

Ingredients
Medium sized potatoes - Boiled, peeled & cut into small pieces - 6 - 8 nos
(I always mash potatoes into small pieces with my hand)
Hing - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon (use according to your spice level)
Salt - to taste

Tempering
Oil - a little
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Split urad dal - 1/2 teaspoon

Method
Take a little oil in a pan. After the oil is heated, add potatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, hing, salt to it. Saute until the raw smell of turmeric & chilli powder goes and remove from heat.

Add mustard seeds to little oil and let it splutter. Then, add urad dal and roast it until brown. Add them to the potato curry.

No comments :

Post a Comment